Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Wk1 The Shining Eyes...



After watching the video of Benjamin Zander on TED, I find myself being struck especially by his questions to the audience at the end about "shining eyes". When I am teaching music to my elementary students, how many "shining eyes" do I have around me? If I see a student with dull eyes who is not engaged, how do I reach out to make that change? Do I "awaken the possibiity" in my students? The content I teach is important, without a doubt, but is it possible that the WAY I teach that content is even more vital?

I think about my 2nd graders over the past 3 years and note that they really rise to my expectations. I created the Silly Staff game for 4th graders in a long term substitute position in another district, but really wanted to try it with my 2nd graders when I was hired in Evansville. I believed in the possibility that they could not only grasp, but excel with this game...and they have!

I am nearing the end of my amazing EMDT year...many times throughout I have been told by people in my real world that I have a huge smile whenever I am talking about my EMDT experiences (and I'm sure "shining eyes" are part of it too!)...
I have only begun to reflect on how this journey has changed and will continue to change my life.
In a few weeks I will go back to my music classroom and have the opportunity again to awaken possibility and see those "shining eyes", and these questions from Benjamin Zander need to be kept in mind: "Who am I being?" and "How many shining eyes do I have around me?"

2 comments:

  1. You said, “The content I teach is important, without a doubt, but is it possible that the WAY I teach that content is even more vital?” In my opinion, music education is rarely given the credit it deserves. You teach math (fractions at that) as well as reading/literacy skills. Other than music and music theory, what abstract domains do fourth graders experience in school...

    The way we teach, any subject, is always going to be vital. I’ll say again, I love your silly staff activities. Parents of your students are very fortunate to have you as the person teaching their children. I haven’t seen you teach, but your passion for students, music, and the learning process are alway evident. Often, I believe, a good and caring teacher that shares his/her passions and excitement about the content can be what sparks a shine in the students’ eyes. Perhaps it is initially a reflection of the teacher’s shinning eyes, but how many accomplished artists, musicians, scientists, etc, credit a specific teacher for the passion they now have for their career?
    ~Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "shining eyes" must start with you! This part of the equation will be no problem for you. Your passion is unmistakable and I'm sure it transmits to your students as well.
    Like you, it is my hope that I can create a passion for learning in my students by the passion I bring to the subjects I teach.

    ReplyDelete