Powered By Blogger

Friday, August 13, 2010

Wk3 Reading "Being Present in the way things are..."


My music room at Levi Leonard Elementary School in Evansville, WI

From this week's reading I have been challenged to think about "the way things are". Last year I had a difficult schedule with absolutely no prep time alone in my room...there was always a music class being taught in the room either by me or by the 40% music teacher. Add the demands of EMDT and going to work tired every day... and if I'm honest, I can relate to both the cow and the duck. I tried to resign myself to "it's just the way the schedule is....accept it and be happy" but often found myself feeling and saying "this just stinks!" As I look ahead a couple weeks to my new school year and schedule (which, by the way, is much better with actual alone prep time in my room!) it will be good for me to remember that being present to the way things are is "being present to what is happening and present to your reactions, no matter how intense." (Zander, 2000 p.100) It will help me to see what is, see the possibilities, and move on.
EMDT has provided the impetus for me to continue to see possibilities in how to make my teaching more engaging and fun for my students, and I am determined to keep reaching, keep growing, keep taking steps out of my comfort zone to give my students the best experience in music class that I can!
"The practice of being with the way things are allows us to alight in a place of openness, where 'the truth' readies us for the next step, and the sky opens up." (p.111)

Source:
Zander, B. & Zander, R. (2000). The art of possibility. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press

*just an added note...amazingly enough, my burn-out with my schedule did not involve my students...they were a constant source of energy and joy as they "ate up" all the new technology experiences I offered them!

1 comment:

  1. @ Kathy- I can imagine how frustrating that must have been to have no planning time. I'm glad that this year is going to be better for you. I would love to visit your classroom because I just know that you are an excellent music teacher who inspires your students everyday!! Good luck on a new and exciting year.

    ReplyDelete