Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Wk2 Comment Sarah Hodge


Image from Sarah Hodge's blog
Week 2 Rdg: Chapters 4-6
Sarah writes:
Starfish story-I’ve always loved this story because it is not about how many but about simply making a difference. This can very easily relate to teaching. So often we get caught up in numbers that we forget the person behind each number. Every student is an actual person and not just some lifeless object categorized under a certain letter of the alphabet. Each of them are stars waiting to be discovered. In a world where there is so much negativity and an unreasonable “standard” of what one should be like according to the media, it’s no wonder that many of our own students may feel like they are stranded on the shore, far from where they belong. Our job as teachers is to put them back into the ocean to help them realize that they are needed out there; that their contributions are gladly accepted; and that they too can make a difference. Even if we feel we may have only made a difference in one student’s life, it makes all the difference. Often times we don’t even see the impact we have on students. They usually go unknown. Think of the stories you hear on the radio or from others of how their teacher made a great impact on them. That teacher was probably completely unaware of it. As we do our best to be positive and treat them as the cherished and treasured starfish they are, the rest is up to them to continue steadfast on their journey.

Contribution idea-Not about what did you get done today but what did you do to make a difference.

White sheets of paper-Interesting concept and idea. It is important to be humble enough to ask for feedback. In addition, it allows us to know our learners on a much deeper level so that we can meet their needs and teach them in an engaging manner. As students are able to give feedback, they are also contributing to the class. They then feel they are being heard and are more apt to participate since their ideas are being implemented.

After one of the orchestra members is called upon to conduct, he expresses, “I have been so critical of conductors, and now I see that what you have to do is as demanding as playing an instrument” (Zander & Zander, 2000, p. 73) I know I have been guilty of being critical of the ways in which I have been taught in previous classroom experiences. As I became a teacher, I then realized I was doing the very thing I had a great distaste for as a student. Now, I try to focus on the positive aspects of what my professors’ offer, so that I can emulate those same teaching methods in my own classroom.

Blog to be continued...

Kathy Kellen writes:
Sarah
I think you are making excellent connections between the reading and your experiences as a teacher! I especially liked your statement, "Each of them are stars waiting to be discovered. " I think it is excellent practice to emulate positive instructors and be purposeful in seeing the possibilities! Super job, Sarah!

No comments:

Post a Comment