Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Wk1 Reading "Measurement World?"


Image created at Wordle.net

How are my thoughts and actions reflections of a measurement world?
I looked at that pattern of nine dots with the instruction to connect them all with only 4 lines, and immediately saw the box, and the dot in the middle that was unconnected. Seeing the "Possibility" figure on page 14, my reaction was, "why didn't I think of that???" So at this moment since my thoughts are still focused on a grade that is incorrect from a previous course, I guess I am in the measurement world. Is this where I want to remain? NO!
When I am focusing on the people in my life and building connections, but still realizing that I am shaped by assumptions of life in this world, I feel that I am getting closer. My desire is to be open to possibility, to silence the negative voices. "You are more likely to be successful, overall, if you participate joyfully with projects and goals and do not think your life depends on achieving the mark because then you will be better able to connect to people all around you."(Zander, 2000. p.21)

Source: Zander, B & Zander, R. (2000). The art of possibility. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press

3 comments:

  1. @Kathy -

    I think we are all a work in progress when it comes to living in this "measurement world." As teachers I think it is important for us to care less about competition and comparison and more about our students. I think that you do a wonderful job of doing this - it is very obvious the love and compassion you have for your students! It is always easy for us to see the imperfections in ourselves, but I wanted to let you know that I think you are an amazing teacher and wonderful friend who truly cares! Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Kathy
    "My desire is to be open to possibility, to silence the negative voices." I think this is something that if successful could be the most important aspect of FSO for you. You do great work, you have applied so much of what you have learned directly to your classroom, yet those negative voices creep up in your head. Silence those voices! Trust in the process and free yourself of worry. Give yourself an A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy,

    In reference to the following: "Though after giving this more thought, there really would have been no way for me to predict what was going to happen to me during this journey! It is beneficial for me to look back through the months and see ways in which I have grown, but also to note that I still have a long road ahead in some areas."

    I could not agree more! A huge part of most of us remaining in the world of measurement is that it is safe and predictable. But we truly are cutting ourself short by not seeing our true potential when we live in a world of measurement. I like the idea to look back and learn..and not worry so much about what is to come. :-)

    ReplyDelete