Powered By Blogger

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Wk3 Comment Abbie Swartzentruber


image from Abbie Swartzentruber's blog: Max, a future EMDT student?


Wk 3 Reading- Be Present

The reading for this week really hit home, because it talked about something I really have trouble with: Being present in the moment. I often find myself worrying about tomorrow or trying to change the past - when I need to let go of all the resistance in my mind and just be in the here and now. I know my life would be more stressfree if I could begin doing this in my day-to-day existence.
A quote from our textbook that I found interesting can be found on p. 102:
"Mistakes can be like ice. If we resist them, we may keep on slipping into a posture of defeat. If we include mistakes in our definition of performance, we are likely to glide through them and appreciate the beauty of the longer run."
What an idea - include mistakes in our perception of getting things done! From a young age we are taught to do things right the first time, to expect punishment for mistakes, and to be too hard on ourselves. I want my son to know that everyone makes mistakes and they are a part of life - it is how you handle those mistakes that defines you. This book has been truly eye-opening for me...

kathykellen said...
Abbie,
We are so often on the same wavelength! I, too, struggle with "being present"! I especially like how you stated, "What an idea - include mistakes in our perception of getting things done! From a young age we are taught to do things right the first time, to expect punishment for mistakes, and to be too hard on ourselves. I want my son to know that everyone makes mistakes and they are a part of life - it is how you handle those mistakes that defines you. " I think that this EMDT journey has been a life-changing experience for us both! Be present and finish strong!!!

Source:http://abbiemacfullsail.blogspot.com/2010/08/wk-3-reading-be-present.html

No comments:

Post a Comment