Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Wk2 Reading "Being a Contribution"



A very wise friend gave me the advice to truly think of myself as a contributor to my section as I played the final two performances of Meredith Willson's "the Music Man". In the past ten years I have had the privilege to play in summer show pit orchestras with gifted musicians...especially in our woodwind section. "Being a contribution" (Zander, 2000) is embodied in that experience. Concentrating on the blend, on how our parts complement or play off of one another produces wonderful results for the section, and orchestra as a whole.

This show that just closed was especially poignant for me. I watched a young man take on a lead role that was a perfect fit for him, as his acting and singing made the character totally believable. But also I was transported back in time to a phone call from his mother saying she had a very nice eight year old son who wanted to take piano lessons and would I teach him...and the years that followed sitting beside him at the piano nurturing his musical talent and helping him to reach his goals.
That's what teachers do, and our students can make us extremely proud of them...it's our job, but also who we are. The impact we have left may never be truly known, or it may be incredibly humbling, as it was to me last night, to hear a past student say "everything I've accomplished musically is because of you"! I feel unbelievably honored to have been a contribution in this young man's life, and he has blessed me by being a contribution in mine as well!

3 comments:

  1. @Kathy -

    How amazing to have such a tangible example of how you are a contributor! This was the perfect example of what they were talking about in our textbook! I wish I could hear the wonderful music you have been playing - but even if I'm not right there hearing it, I have a good feeling that you make everyone around you smile! Thanks for being someone that has contributed significantly to my life with your friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kathy

    It is so true Kathy, us teachers, coaches and mentors derive our accomplishments from what our students achieve under our guidance. I think it is a blessing just to have the chance to be contributors to their lives. So many others, working in so many other professions, don’t have such a rich environment that provides the opportunity to impact the lives of children like teachers do. Congratulations on making an impact on this eight year old who in return made you feel accomplished as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy,
    Thank you so much for sharing that personal story. I love those moments. Being a contributor is so rewarding because we are spending our time thinking of others rather than ourselves. At the same time, we get to use our gifts to bless the lives of others. You truly have many gifts and you are definitely using them for good. The memories we cherish forever. What a great privilege it is to be that kind of influence in the lives of others. Kathy, you are amazing. Keep contributing to the world because you are definitely making a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete