Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Wk 4 Reading "Being the Board"



Honestly, I am not sure what I think about this practice of naming myself as the board on which the game is being played. (Zander, 2000). I am in the midst of a really hard time in my family, pretty much feel like things are crumbling around me, am clinging to God who IS in control, and declaring myself to be the "board" just doesn't feel right. Will apologies be all the "restorative balm" that is needed? Will choosing to be the board reinstate me on the path I was walking until a couple of days ago?

What CAN I take from this chapter in my current circumstances? Perhaps the quote at the end of the chapter: "This practice launches you on a soaring journey of transformation and development with others, a completely different route than the one of managing relationships to avoid conflict. It calls for courage and compassion. You do not find compassion simply by listening to people; you open the channel by removing the barriers to tenderness within you. Among the rewards are self-respect, connection of the deepest and most vital kind, and a straight road to making a difference." (p.159)
Hoping I can find that different route...

Source: Zander, B. & Zander, R. (2000). The art of possibility. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press

3 comments:

  1. Kathy, I am so glad you felt this way! I was so disgusted by this chapter. I can't even believe some of the ideas presented in this chapter. I was worried I was alone in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You & Stacie have echoed my thoughts perfectly.
    This chapter totally confused me. I'm not sure what I was supposed to gleam from the analogy! Be the BOARD?? If I choose the framework, I control the situation?? The world will be forced to play my "game" if I choose to become the "board"? It just seem very out of sync with everything else that the authors presented throughout the book. It was sort of egotistical and self-serving. I had to agree with one of the people who asked Zander if his apology was just a means to an end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you here Kathy...
    I felt the lest connected to this weeks reading. I think they were trying to tell readers to not view themselves with a victim mentality, and that is a valuable concept...but the overall “board” analogy was abit of a stretch.

    ReplyDelete