Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 9, 2010

Wk2 Reading "Leading From Any Chair"



As a musician, the "5th Practice of leading from any chair" (Zander, 2000 p.67) was a chapter I really resonated with! I have played for many conductors in my lifetime. My favorite was a man named Hugo Huss, and I played under his direction for multiple summers when I attended Symphony School of America. He was easy to follow, passionate about the music, and inspired me to reach a level of performance that I wouldn't have dreamed possible. I'd like to think that he would have embraced the concept of the "white sheets" (p.70)

I've led from different chairs in my playing experiences...Principal flute, 2nd flute, Piccolo....section member. My favorite chair is 2nd flute, supporting the harmony and being a strong voice underneath the principal...my college flute professor taught me much about that role, as we would play duets at every lesson and he would play 2nd! More often than not, I model that concept with my private flute students. When I think of my present teaching position, I "play the principal flute role" in the elementary piece of my position, but in the middle school instrumental piece, definitely the supporting role of "2nd flute"! Piccolo is probably my least favorite chair, because of its high exposure...nowhere to hide...totally out there!

May my eyes be more open to recognizing which chair my students lead best from, allow them to experience passion, and teach them to be a strong voice where they are most comfortable, and also risk the exposure of an "out there" chair!

Source:
Zander, B. & Zander, R. (2000). The art of possibility. Boston, MA:Harvard Business School Press

5 comments:

  1. I really knew that you would enjoy this book once I started reading it. It's great that it tells a message, but it must be even better for you because that message is twice as relevant due to its musical content and your musical affinity.

    I plan to let my students lead as much as possible this year. I really want to continue to take that back row seat and listen to them and see what they are capable of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The orchestra does make such a great metaphor for community in life, doesn't it? As a choral director I see it there as well. We are by nature pretty self-centered human beings, and performers can be among the worst of the lot. Sounds like you have a pretty humble spirit and approach to ensemble. Although, it is ok to be the center of attention every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy,
    You have played this metaphor with zeal and beauty. I love it! The idea of playing 2nd instrument is one of honor. Like you, I love playing the supporting role and shy away from any high profile leadership position. But the importance of recognizing your contribution and importance from any seat or chair you fill is the important point. Beautifully written. BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy,

    There is nothing wrong with being out there. I guess I would be a piccolo player because I do not mind standing out. Just from reading your blog, I can tell that you're pretty shy and likes to blend in without getting noticed. That's cool because there is a job for everyone and every seat is meant for someone with a different personality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy -

    My challenge is for you to make sure you continue to practice all of these new ideas, concepts, and eye opening experiences even when we are done with FSO. Obviously your students will benefit greatly from your new knowledge and excitement but remember that being a contributor means you too part of the collective success. You can do it.

    ReplyDelete